Monday, July 31, 2006

Stupidity Strikes Again

Just before I was to leave for a beautiful week-long stress-free trip to the beach last week, stupidity struck again. It's like I'm some sort of magnetic force for stupidity these days, and I must say, I'm not enjoying it one bit. Especially when it is brought on by the same person who sponsored stupidity's visit the last time it came around.

I've been told a lot of things in my life, but none so stupid as this: "You really shouldn't care so much about your friends". Um, what? Now, call me crazy, but I really do care about my friends. I care for some friends more than others, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't believe that I have ever cared "too much". And really, with the way the world is going these days, is is such a bad thing if I do?

Now, I will be the first to admit I don't have many friends. Well, not many female friends anyway. Being a female myself, I have a hard enough time dealing with my own mood swings and evilness, and can only take a certain amount of psycho at a time. But the female friends I do have, I wouldn't trade for the world and would punch you out in a second if you crossed one of them. If you are a friend, I'll hold your used kleenex and give you a shoulder while you cry, and will hold your hair back while you puke (though, be forewarned you may make me puke, too). I'll go to tupperware parties you host when I have 2 cents in my bank account and I'll drive in the middle of the night to a vet hospital where your horse/dog/cat is about to have surgery and you need company. I'll spend the night with you in the waiting room when your dad is in the hospital because your family is too crazy to make you feel better. I'll watch your kid's t-ball game in 100 degree heat and will get up at 5am to call you if you don't trust yourself to listen to the alarm clock so you can catch a plane. You need me? I'm there. But don't ever tell me I care too much. That's just a bit too much stupidity for me, and as all my friends know, I don't handle stupidity very well. At least there is a cure for ignorance, right?

Every woman knows that there is a difference between "Real" friends and "Convenient" friends. I made the mistake of trying to make a convenient friend a real friend. Unfortunately, there seems to be a universal law that prohibits this from happening, except for maybe during an eclipse. I tried anyway. I failed miserably. And my real friends are shaking their heads saying "I told you so", and they did. Oh, they did. But I thought maybe I could bend the rules of the universe. Silly me. I won't be trying that again. Did you hear an explosion sometime today? That was the sound of that experiment blowing up in my face. Oh well. I have some wounds, but they'll heal. Besides, I have my real friends to lean on. And never in a million years would they tell me I care too much, nor would I tell them that they do. Real friends can't care too much. It's against the rules of the universe.

1 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading this at work (taboo!) and got a little teary. Will write more later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home