Monday, October 30, 2006

Money Grubbers

What is it that makes me so annoyed with the people who walk up and down at intersections, shaking a donation can at cars? I mean, I RUN a not-for-profit, so you would think I would be sympathetic, but I'm not. I'M NOT. I'm annoyed. Always.

This weekend I was driving just .3 miles from my house, and had a can shaken at me not once, not twice, but three times. By two different organizations! And, I was intercepted at the door to Walgreens by some kids selling candy for their school. It's not that I don't give to charity, because I do, and my husband and I try to pick charities we feel are legitimate and do something that we believe in. And when Lions Day comes around, I do throw money into their can, because I know about the charity and we support it locally. But WHY would I throw my hard-earned money into the can of a man wearing a handmade vest with some organization name scrawled across the front? And what other activity makes people roll down their windows to invite a stranger to lean into their car while their children are in the back?

The one charity this weekend was standing at an intersection, no advertising who they were except for a little logo on their cans, which you couldn't read even if you were standing right next to it. They were dressed in some white get-up, and getting dressed right at the corner of the intersection. The one man, unfortunately catching me glaring at him, walks towards the car and I shake my head. Not interested. Instead of walking away, he points to the can, steps towards the car, and shakes the can at me again, like that will change my mind. Again, I shake my head. He stops and STARES at me. How dare I? How dare I not put my hard earned money into the can of a "charity" I've never heard of, never researched, never supported before?

Maybe too many people feel "it's just change", and toss it in to get rid of it. In the day of I-Pass, less and less people use change while driving on the tollways, so maybe it's more appealling than it used to be to give that change away. And God knows, if it's one of those days where there's someone on EVERY corner, I give in, give them some pennies, and get a little trinket to throw onto my dashboard in front of me so that every flippin' person working for that charity knows I already gave them some damn money.

I know this all sounds callous and harsh, as these are hard working volunteers out on the street asking for people's change. But in the era of Do Not Call lists, 2 phone calls each day from political parties, calls from charities we've happened to support in the past, and the bell-ringing of the Salvation Army right around the corner to make you feel guilty for spending all your money on the ones you love, I'm sick of people begging for my money. Sick of it. Send me the information, I will research your charity, and if I feel you are worthy, will donate some money to you.

But for God's Sake, man. Stop. Shaking. That. Can. At. Me. I'm this close to chucking it across the street for you.

2 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Krissy said...

I'm with you 100%. I do believe that it is actually illegal to do those traffic-charity things. I know there was a big kerfuffle after September 11th, when firemen and their families were holding out boots.

I remember one article saying, basically, "Cheerist, these people are FIREMEN. They know how likely it is that they'll get hit, hold up traffic, or cause an accident by walking in the middle of a busy intersection.

It makes me a horrible person, but when the can-shakers get insistant I'm often tempted to flip them off. You asked, I said no. You said, "GIVE ME MONEY" by shaking the can, I specfiy that my response is "I SAID NO THE FIRST TIME, JACKASS" by givin you the finger.

Thus, our communication is clear.

I'm with you.

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree but I still always feel guilty. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home