Friday, December 12, 2008

The Little Things

This past Tuesday, Evan's best buddy in the whole world was over playing. His mom and I visited while the boys played on every level of the house, and as time wore on, I realized how quiet the boys were being. I checked on them and they were just playing quietly, side by side, which Evan is very good at since he's an only child, but his buddy... well, I've never known him to be quiet. Ever. He's a crazy-ass ball of fire that is non-stop motion.

I mentioned to his mom how quiet he seemed, and his mom said he had been quiet all week and she thought maybe it was time to go to the doctor. He hadn't been eating well, he was taking naps again, and he kept complaining that his knees hurt him. When he was leaving the playdate, he complained about his knees again, and I noticed how lethargic all his movements were.

On Wednesday, Evan's buddy saw the doctor, and then someone hit the fast forward button. His platelets and hemoglobin were low, and the doctor called from home to tell them he needed to be admitted to the hospital for a bone marrow biopsy. His mom called me in tears, the panic in her voice- it was hopefully just a virus, but it could be worse. Much worse. I got off the phone with her, and began sobbing hysterically. I regained my composure, and tip-toed upstairs to where Evan lay sleeping in bed still, his cheeks rosy from a myriad of covers over him, his arm flung around a Lightning McQueen pillow. And I cried some more.

This morning, the worst was confirmed. Evan's best buddy in the entire world has Leukemia. And I can't type this without losing it completely. Oh God, Oh God, what now? I told his mom we know one child who dealt with it when she was just a little older than her son, and is now a rambunctious healthy teenager. I didn't have the heart to tell her, nor will I ever, about the funeral I attended when I was 10 for my 8 year old friend Nicholas, who wasn't so lucky.

I spent all day yesterday just hugging and kissing my precious little boy, thinking of all the wonderful little things in life we take for granted, to the point where he said "Mommy, STOP kissing me, ok??" And I laughed because of the fight in his voice and the fact that he is perfect. And my heart is so broken for him and his buddy, but we will do everything in our power to help them. I've already told her I'm getting pretty good at fundraising, and to just say the word. After a hopefully not-too-scary talk with Evan about what's going on, we're going to visit his best buddy in the hospital this afternoon, get-well package full of cars and other fun things in tow, and I will take Evan every other day to visit until his buddy gets to go home.

Nothing in life matters more than that of the health of your child. Hug yours. Kiss yours. If you're pregnant, bank your baby's cord blood. And please, please say a prayer for Evan's best buddy and his familiy.

2 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Oh my gosh, how awful. Evan's buddy and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Saying a prayer for Evans Buddy. PLease be sure his Mom gets him down to THE CITY....we are not as up to speed out here in the 'burbs with pediatrics as they are. Man. This is just terrible. I hope that he comes out of this a happy and healthy boy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home