Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Hoho...Ho?

No, this post isn't about what you may think it's about. It's about me losing my train of thought like every 2 minutes. I've heard that doing crossword puzzles sharpens your mind, exercises it, if you will, but I fall asleep while pondering the first 5 clues. I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but I have an idea. I think my brain is full.

On a daily basis, I am a mother, a wife, a business owner, a business manager, a graphic designer, a webmaster, a secretary, a mediator, a dog trainer, a dog walker, a counselor (totally different from mediator), a cook, a housekeeper, a nanny (yes, for my own kid, but still...), a skilled puppetmaster, a dancer, a writer, and a taxi driver, just to name a few. Before I was married with a child, I was me, with a typical 8 hour a day job, and a girlfriend. I don't remember what I did with my free time, nor how I managed to never get anything done. Because now I do all of this, and still don't get anything done. Somehow I manage to vacuum 5 times a week only because, if I didn't, dog hair would take over the house and smother us all.

I frequently think of something that I need to finish in the office, only to go upstairs to the office to forget what the hell I was going there to do. Then the phone will ring, and someone will be on the other end reminding me of something else I forgot to do and can I do it that second? So I'll do that one thing, put down the phone, and go to get the thing I had in mind for my son, only to forget what exactly that thing was, but thankful that he still a) is easily persuaded to do something else or b) loudly demands what it is that I forgot that I was getting for him. Again, I tell you, my brain is full.

My husband will get home from his day of work, kick off his shoes and watch tv. His work is done. I get home from my day of work and...oh, wait, my day of work is never ending. Because even after the kid is asleep, I'm still on duty for when he gets up in the middle of the night and if the dog throws up at 3am and...and I think I read somewhere that your brain begins to melt when you never get a vacation. Because even on my vacations I'm still working. And melting my brain.

But here's the thing. Save for the occasional really bad day, I love being supermom, juggling ten million things and never getting to rest. I really do. Yes, my house could be cleaner, my office neater, my hair done on a daily basis, but seriously, life is too short. I'm trying to cram it all in. But what happens when there is no more room? Does your brain implode? Stretch? Accomodate even more information on a daily basis? I'm determined to find out why only 10% of our brain is used, because dammit, I could use an upgrade and a little bit more storage space.

Now what the hell was I really going to write about?

3 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Krissy said...

I would tell you that, but I appear to have forgotten my name.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Krissy said...

I would tell you that, but I appear to have forgotten my name.

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't husbands suck like that? I mean, I love mine and all but is he going to remember who we have to buy holiday gifts for? Does he remember to do the litter box? What about Cleo's vet appointment? And paying the bills? And scheduling our dentist appointments? I think all wives should get a wife. Cuz really, that is what I need. And I know my business pales in comparisson to yours, but really. Men have it easy and that's all there is to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home