Thursday, December 21, 2006

It's The People You Know

Another college story:

My last summer at college, a very talented singer/songwriter named Robynn Ragland moved into my friend Paul's house. She was an up-and-coming, with such honors under her belt as playing at Lilith Fair, opening for the Paula Cole Band, and other various accolades. To top it off, she was nice and real and had actual talent. We hung out with Paul's cows and drove to St. Louis to watch her open for Paula Cole. We drank beer under the stars and stared in awe at all the dead ladybugs that were in her bathroom after Paul fumigated the house. A real person with real talent. She's still singing, still waiting for that big break, though she's been on local radio in St. Louis a lot. I dug out her cd over the weekend, and had forgotten just how REALLY good it is. My fave song is "People You Know". The lyrics are amazing, the tune is incredible. I invite you to take a look at her website and order her cd. You won't be disappointed. But for a sneak peek, here's the lyrics:

PEOPLE YOU KNOW
Words & Music by Robynn Ragland

Found myself thinking about you today
When I conjured your classic expression
Nobody noticed me wearing it,
So I went on like it was mine

At some point I heard the word "time" slip out
With a thick southern drawl like my girlfriend's
Then I watched as my hands began talking like mom,
And I really started freaking out

Isn't it odd? Take you and me -
We're two little ants in one giant community
But whether it's fate, or proximity
You're one of my people, the people I'm into - I miss you - yeah, I feel akin to you

Remember that guy at your job who got fired
When he slept with the boss' ex-wife?
He wound up in bed with your roommate's old girlfriend
Well, anyway, he said tell you "hi"

Isn't it odd? Take you and me -
You carry around a big chunk of my history
And I didn't know I was behind the doors
'Till you called and the closet cracked open- 'cause you could see who I was

It's the people you know, the people who knew you
And wherever you go, they're the ones who get to you
They get in your head - in your dreams - in your soul
They're the people, the people, the people you know

I thought I'd flash back to my college days
And give his old number a call
I know he'd Thank God We're both Doing Fine
It's history, but he's in my mind
Oh, I've long moved away but those days wrote a book in my life ...

It's the people you know, the people who knew you
And the ones you let go, and the ones you let screw you
They get in your bed - in your dreams - in your soul
They're the ones you read up on when you check out the horoscopes
of people you know, and the people who love you
And the ones who you loved, they're forever a part of you now
In spite of the millions and billions you don't
It's the people, the people, the people you know

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home